Union Home Secy visits rain-ravaged Uttarakhand
Dehradun: Union Home Secretary R K Singh on Friday conducted an aerial survey of rain-devastated areas in Uttarakhand and said eight IAF helicopters would be pressed into service from Thursday to speed up evacuation of stranded pilgrims.
He asked ITBP, IAF and NDRF to jointly conduct relief and rescue operations on a war-footing.
After conducting aerial survey of flood-ravaged areas in Rudraprayag, Chamoli and Uttarkashi, Singh held a 3-hour meeting with senior state government officials.
The officials included DGP Satyavrat Bansal, Principal Secertary (Health) S S Ramaswamy, Principal Secretary to the CM S S Sandhu and Principal Secretary (Home) Om Prakash.
Eight IAF helicopters would arrive tomorrow to help in relief and rescue operations in Kedarnath area in Rudraprayag district which had been the worst-hit, the Principal Secretary (Home) said after the meeting.
Gaurigaon, a place located above the Kedarnath shrine, seemed to have suffered large-scale damage and Additional IAF choppers would initially be engaged in relief and rescue operations there, the official said.
Monsoon rains have wreaked havoc in the hill state leaving over 150 dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list