Union Minister Harish Rawat backs Khurshid
New Delhi: Backing his colleague Salman
Khurshid who has landed in a controversy over his remarks on
sub-quota for minorities, Union Minister Harish Rawat, on Monday,
said it should be understood that every minister has to
undertake his duties as a political leader also.
He expressed confidence that the government would be able
to present its views on this "technical problem" in a proper
manner. "There should be a solution to this practical
difficulty for future also," the Minister felt.
"We always respect the orders and instructions of Election
Commission. But we need to understand one thing, which is a
practical situation that every minister is also a political
leader," Rawat told reporters when asked about Election
Commission`s objection to Law Minister`s comment during Uttar
Pradesh poll campaign.
Rawat, who is Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs,
noted that Law Minister should be allowed to inform people
about what is written in manifesto.
"Khurshid has one more responsibility as a Chairman of
manifesto drafting committee, Uttar Pradesh. He should be
allowed to place before the people his product, which is in
the manifesto," he observed.
Rawat said, "Every politician is in some manner also a
political activist even if he is a minister".
The EC had sought the "immediate and decisive"
intervention of President Pratibha Patil after it charged
Khurshid with "improper and unlawful" defiance of its orders
under which he was censured for promising sub-quota for
The President had forwarded the EC`s complaint to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh for proper action. Khurshid also spoke
to the PM last evening on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees