Union Minister Harish Rawat backs Khurshid
New Delhi: Backing his colleague Salman
Khurshid who has landed in a controversy over his remarks on
sub-quota for minorities, Union Minister Harish Rawat, on Monday,
said it should be understood that every minister has to
undertake his duties as a political leader also.
He expressed confidence that the government would be able
to present its views on this "technical problem" in a proper
manner. "There should be a solution to this practical
difficulty for future also," the Minister felt.
"We always respect the orders and instructions of Election
Commission. But we need to understand one thing, which is a
practical situation that every minister is also a political
leader," Rawat told reporters when asked about Election
Commission`s objection to Law Minister`s comment during Uttar
Pradesh poll campaign.
Rawat, who is Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs,
noted that Law Minister should be allowed to inform people
about what is written in manifesto.
"Khurshid has one more responsibility as a Chairman of
manifesto drafting committee, Uttar Pradesh. He should be
allowed to place before the people his product, which is in
the manifesto," he observed.
Rawat said, "Every politician is in some manner also a
political activist even if he is a minister".
The EC had sought the "immediate and decisive"
intervention of President Pratibha Patil after it charged
Khurshid with "improper and unlawful" defiance of its orders
under which he was censured for promising sub-quota for
The President had forwarded the EC`s complaint to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh for proper action. Khurshid also spoke
to the PM last evening on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Bihar govt's bizarre order: No cooking, yagna between 9 am and 6 pm to avoid fire
- Inhalation therapy, a key to win big against asthma
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut