Union Minister Harish Rawat backs Khurshid
New Delhi: Backing his colleague Salman
Khurshid who has landed in a controversy over his remarks on
sub-quota for minorities, Union Minister Harish Rawat, on Monday,
said it should be understood that every minister has to
undertake his duties as a political leader also.
He expressed confidence that the government would be able
to present its views on this "technical problem" in a proper
manner. "There should be a solution to this practical
difficulty for future also," the Minister felt.
"We always respect the orders and instructions of Election
Commission. But we need to understand one thing, which is a
practical situation that every minister is also a political
leader," Rawat told reporters when asked about Election
Commission`s objection to Law Minister`s comment during Uttar
Pradesh poll campaign.
Rawat, who is Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs,
noted that Law Minister should be allowed to inform people
about what is written in manifesto.
"Khurshid has one more responsibility as a Chairman of
manifesto drafting committee, Uttar Pradesh. He should be
allowed to place before the people his product, which is in
the manifesto," he observed.
Rawat said, "Every politician is in some manner also a
political activist even if he is a minister".
The EC had sought the "immediate and decisive"
intervention of President Pratibha Patil after it charged
Khurshid with "improper and unlawful" defiance of its orders
under which he was censured for promising sub-quota for
The President had forwarded the EC`s complaint to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh for proper action. Khurshid also spoke
to the PM last evening on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing