Union minister takes dig at own government
New Delhi: In comments that may be seen as
mocking at his own government, Union Minister Saugata Roy
on Saturday said forming of Group of Ministers (GoMs) has become an
easy way out whenever an issue was found difficult to handle.
"... the UPA-I and UPA-II have given rise to two big
phenomenon -- one is called the GoMs, Group of Ministers...
Anything that you can`t solve immediately refer to the Group
"And then there is still more important thing...
anything you can`t solve at Cabinet, you refer to Empowered
Group of Ministers. It is called EGoM," said the Minister of
State for Urban Development who belongs to Trinamool Congress.
While interacting with the audience at a conference on
`Green Design: Building and Habitats` here, Roy also said the
Government was "run" by the secretaries and their committees.
"Apart from that, there is what is known as Committee of
Secretaries. And actually the Government, as you know, is run
by the secretaries and their committees," the Minister said.
Asked whether both the Urban Development Ministry and
the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy are working in tandem
on the idea of sustainable habitat, he said, "You know
ministers, ministries in central government guard their turfs
very zealously. They do not like one Ministry overlapping
Roy was one of the Ministers of State who had complained
to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh soon after the formation of
UPA-II that junior ministers were not getting adequate work
from their seniors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal