Union Ministers condole IK Gujral`s demise
New Delhi: Union Ministers on Friday condoled the demise of former Prime Minister I K Gujral and described him as a person who practised the politics of idealism and conviction.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said that Gujral, also a former Foreign Minister, represented India absolutely well.
"He was a talented person, well read and also a writer," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
Law Minister Ashwani Kumar said, "I am deeply grieved... He practised the politics of idealism and conviction. Succeeding generations would be inspired by him."
He said he had a personal relationship with the former Prime Minister, who was a freedom fighter and patriot. "I always received affection from him like a father treats his son," he said.
Kumar said Gujral`s core interest was foreign policy. "A joke was going around (at that time) that if you have Gujral in Moscow, then there is no need in Russia for a foreign minister... He had balanced views and believed in Nehruvian policies," he said.
Railway Minister Pavan Kumar Bansal said that Gujral`s demise "is a big loss to the country".
Expressing condolences, Bansal said that Gujral "followed value-based politics. He was a remarkable, great and one of the rare Parliamentarians".
Minister of State in the Prime Minister`s Office (PMO) V Narayanasamy said that Gujral was a very learned person as well as a voracious reader.
"I pray to God to give courage to his family. He had handled important issues. He worked for the development of the country. Gujral was the Prime Minister at a crucial period and carried on the coalition partners," Narayanasamy said.
"It is a great loss to the nation. Rather I would say an irreparable loss to the nation. He was very active in public life with impeccable integrity. He has left behind a great legacy of probity and also statesmanship," Petroleum Minister Veerappa Moily said.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar also condoled the death of Gujral, terming it as an "irreparable loss to the country".
The Editors Guild of India also condoled the passing away of Gujral.
"Apart from being Information and Broadcasting Minister in his early career of political life, he served the country as an astute and successful diplomat and later as Minister of External Affairs," the Guild said in a statement.
It said Gujral would be remembered for his efforts to seek conflict resolutions in the South Asia region. The Guild also hailed him as a champion of Freedom of press, someone who was always accessible to media.
Describing Gujral as an outstanding statesman, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said as Prime Minister he took a number of significant decisions in the best interest of the country though his tenure was for a brief period.
"He was an Urdu scholar and staunch supporter of democratic values. His contribution will always be remembered," the Delhi Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India