Unique ID number optional, not proof of citizenship: Nilekani
Mumbai: The unique ID number of a
person under the Unique Identification Number Authority of
India project is meant for identifying the person and is not
proof of the person`s citizenship, project head Nandan
Nilekani said on Friday.
"The unique ID number is optional and will not be
proof of the person`s citizenship, Nilekani said during a
meeting with senior Maharashtra Government officials at
Mantralaya," an official release said.
"Nilekani is very hopeful that the unique ID system
would cover at least 60 crore Indians within 12 to 18 months,"
the release said.
Nilekani met Chief Secretary Johny Joseph and other
officials for discussing implementation of the unique ID
project in Maharashtra.
Nilekani expressed confidence that Maharashtra being a
major state in IT industry, would lead in implementing the
project, an official said.
The Union Government would take help from banks,
Election Commission, state governments and other organisations
to collect data of people. A high level committee would be
appointed headed by state Chief Secretary to monitor the work.
The Authority was set up in February to give unique
number to each citizen. It would also include name, birth
date, address, family details and finger prints of the person.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea