Unique ID project set to meet target: Nilekani
Ranchi: The target of generating 600 million unique ID cards by 2014 would be achieved, Nandan Nilekani, chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), said here on Friday.
"We will achieve the target of generating 600 million unique identity cards (UID) by 2014. Till now we have generated 95 lakh and enrolled around two crore people," Nilekani said at a press conference.
He is here to review the progress of the unique ID card process in Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
He said the work is currently progressing in 11 states.
Till Friday, 6.5 lakh unique cards have been generated and 20 lakh people have been enrolled in Jharkhand, Nilekani said.
Andhra Pradesh tops in the project followed by Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Asked whether any parameters have been set in border areas of the country for generating unique ID cards, he said the cards "are proof of residency of a person and it is not a proof of nationality".
Nilekani arrived here on Friday morning and met Chief Minister Arjun Munda, who has assured all help in completing the task.
The UID project, when completed, will eliminate the need for multiple identification mechanisms. The permanent ID card will carry a unique number, photograph and biometric data.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble