Unique ID project set to meet target: Nilekani
Ranchi: The target of generating 600 million unique ID cards by 2014 would be achieved, Nandan Nilekani, chairman of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), said here on Friday.
"We will achieve the target of generating 600 million unique identity cards (UID) by 2014. Till now we have generated 95 lakh and enrolled around two crore people," Nilekani said at a press conference.
He is here to review the progress of the unique ID card process in Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
He said the work is currently progressing in 11 states.
Till Friday, 6.5 lakh unique cards have been generated and 20 lakh people have been enrolled in Jharkhand, Nilekani said.
Andhra Pradesh tops in the project followed by Maharashtra and Karnataka.
Asked whether any parameters have been set in border areas of the country for generating unique ID cards, he said the cards "are proof of residency of a person and it is not a proof of nationality".
Nilekani arrived here on Friday morning and met Chief Minister Arjun Munda, who has assured all help in completing the task.
The UID project, when completed, will eliminate the need for multiple identification mechanisms. The permanent ID card will carry a unique number, photograph and biometric data.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured