Unique protest against FDI in retail
New Delhi: It was a protest with a difference where senior BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi on Sunday joined traders in blowing horns to drive home a message that the government has become "deaf and dumb" to voices against FDI.
The protest was organised by the Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) at Jantar Mantar here against the Centre`s decision to allow FDI in retail with businessmen alleging that the government was "sensitive to the needs of MNCs and insensitive to voices of the people".
Later talking to reporters, Joshi attacked the government and said, "Congress is not realising the total and complete opposition to FDI in retail. They are trying to mislead people. The fact is they brought FDI in retail under foreign pressure."
Referring to today`s Congress rally at the Ramlila Maidan here, he said Congress just wants to show they have "some support" in the country.
"We want to tell people that the government is highly insensitive to the plight of farmers and small traders. The opposition to FDI by traders is like playing the proverbial flute before a buffalo," Joshi remarked.
"Just as a buffalo is not sensitive to music, the same way this government is mute to the voice of the masses," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview