United AP stir enters 29th day; more protests in offing
Kadapa (AP): Andhra Pradesh Congress spokesperson N Tulasi Reddy on Wednesday faced the ire of agitators when he went to express solidarity with them for their nearly month-long stir against the division of the state.
Agitators shouted slogans against Reddy and asked him to go back when he arrived to meet unified Andhra supporters at Proddatur here.
Seemandhra supporters have been peeved with Congress ever since the party decided to grant separate statehood to the Telangana region on July 30.
The agitation against the proposed bifurcation entered its 29th day today. About 40 rallies were held in the district with big ones being organised at the Mydukur, Jammulamadugu, Proddatur, Pulivendula and Kadapa towns.
Marathon hunger strikes and indefinite fasts by TDP and YSR Congress leaders continued in the district even as united AP activists organised "Jalabikshatana" (water begging) at Rayachoty town to make people aware about the future for Rayalaseema region if the state was divided.
Water sharing between the new state and non-Telangana regions has emerged as a contentious issue.
Meanwhile, employees of AP state-run power utilities in the Rayalaseema and Coastal Andhra regions are working on a new action plan to intensify their agitation.
The Joint Action Committee (JAC) of these employees met at Kalamala here last night and discussed the option of stopping power generation at thermal and hydro-power stations to back the ongoing stir against the separate state proposal.
The meeting also discussed a proposal to resort to "work to rule" and for issuing strike notice to the managements of power utilities, JAC sources said.
These drastic steps are essential for pressurising the government and political leaders who have "cheated" the people of Seemandhra, they said.
JAC representatives will meet on Aug. 30-31, either in Vijayawada or Guntur, to discuss and take a final decision on these measures, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015