United NDA needed to defeat Congress: Sushma Swaraj
New Delhi: With a split in the Bharatiya Janata Party and the Janata Dal-United appearing imminent, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Friday stressed that National Democratic Alliance (NDA) needed to be together to defeat the Congress.
"Only a united opposition can defeat Congress. Whenever opposition got united, Congress was defeated," tweeted Sushma Swaraj, the leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha.
"Therefore, NDA`s unity is a historical necessity. We must do everything to keep NDA united," she said.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U) is upset over BJP leader and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s elevation to the post of the party`s campaign manager for 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
While the rift has publicly surfaced, the BJP so far maintained that the coalition is intact "for now".
Asked about the possibility of a split, BJP vice president Mukhtar Ababs Naqvi said the Bihar government is "functioning so far".
Party leader Ravishankar Prasad, meanwhile, said: "Our relationship is 18 years old, this whole idea came into being with a collective wish to ensure good governance in Bihar."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000