Unrest brought economic development to standstill: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Monday said the five months of unrest in the Valley had brought the economic development to a standstill and emphasised the need for de-linking politics from development process.
Creating law and order problem while raising political issues and hampering development is in no way in the interest of the people and the state, Omar said after laying foundation of the Rs 24-crore Udyog Bhawan at Bemina here.
He said it was most unfortunate for Kashmir that five months of unrest put the economic development on a standstill.
"We could not spend funds on the schemes as per schedule, the huge macadamisation programme in Srinagar city and other towns received a setback. Progress on the infrastructure development in health, education, roads, water supply, power and industry got hampered," Omar said.
He asked the people to think over the setback to development process and play their part in pulling out the Valley from retrogress and economic downward dip caused by constant lockouts and disturbances.
The Chief Minister said with the approval of Rs 6,500 crore Annual Plan by the Centre for the state, the government offices opened here in May to spend the allotted share of funds in the Valley on fast track and carry forward the equitable development on par with other areas of the state.
"But unfortunately a situation was created which hindered the progress and put obstacles in the way of implementing schemes," he said.
Omar said his endeavours of bringing investors and business houses to the Valley were also affected.
"As per an estimate, about 50,000 people were rendered jobless due to the law and order situation created in the Valley during last five months," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security