UNSC condemns Delhi terrorist attack
United Nations: The UN Security Council has "condemned in the strongest terms" the terrorist attack that occurred in India on Wednesday, which caused numerous deaths and injuries, a news agency reported.
The explosion occurred around 10.15 a.m. outside Delhi High Court, where about 300 visitors were crowding Gate 5 for passes to enter the complex. Several people died instantly, while others collapsed.
"The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the terrorist attack that occurred in Delhi, India, on Sep 7, causing numerous deaths and injuries," said, a press statement read out by Nawaf Salam, the Lebanese Ambassador to the UN and monthly president of the 15-member Council.
The Security Council "reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security, and that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed," said the statement.
"The members of the Security Council reiterated their determination to combat all forms of terrorism, in accordance with its responsibilities under the Charter of the United Nations," said the statement.
The UNSC is one of the principal organs of the United Nations (UN) and is charged with the maintenance of international peace and security.
Earlier, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also voiced strong condemnation of the bomb attack in the Indian capital and expressed "solidarity with the government and people of India."
A statement issued from the UN chief`s office said: "The secretary-general strongly condemns the bomb attack at the Indian High Court in New Delhi.
"The secretary-general reiterates his firm stance that there is no justification for indiscriminate violence against civilians."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'