‘UNSC needs to concentrate on peace, security’
New York: Highlighting the need for reform of the UN Security Council, India has said it is important that the top body concentrate its time and efforts in dealing with issues of global peace and security rather than encroach upon the mandate of the General Assembly.
Participating in the 8th round of Inter-governmental Negotiations on UNSC reform, India`s Permanent Representative to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri said the working methods of the Security Council need to be improved not only for those who are not on the Council but also for those who are on it.
There are a number of examples "which show that the Security Council working style, its working methods leave much to be desired, sometimes even for permanent members," Puri said.
"The Council should concentrate its time and efforts on dealing with issues concerning its primary responsibility of international peace and security as mandated by the UN Charter, rather than encroaching upon the mandate of the General Assembly," he said.
He said if the UN would wait for the five permanent members to come on board on Security Council reform, "we will be here till the next century because the P5, who are permanent members by virtue of a decision taken more than six decades ago, are unlikely to easily reconcile to a reformed Council."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum