‘UNSC veto issue needs to be addressed carefully’
United Nations: Emphasising that the cost of
exercising a veto at the UNSC is rising tremendously with each passing day, India has said a comprehensive reform of the
world body`s power centre will be incomplete if the issue of veto is not addressed in all its aspects.
In the last 67 years, the veto has been used 267 times,
India`s Permanent Representative Ambassador Hardeep Singh Puri
said here yesterday, participating in the eighth round of
intergovernmental negotiations on the question of equitable
representation and increase in the UN Security Council
He said the cost of exercising a veto at the UN Security
Council is rising tremendously with each passing day.
"We firmly believe that reform of the Security Council will be incomplete if the issue of the veto, in all its aspects, is not properly addressed," Puri said.
He said UN members have been hearing the provenance and
historical justifications for the veto.
The general refrain of the five permanent members has
been the linkage with the world war and "to the victors belong
the spoils, that permanent membership was not acquired from a
The 2005 position of G4 countries -- Brazil, Germany,
India, and Japan -- states that all new permanent members will
have the same responsibilities and obligations as the current
permanent members, Puri noted.
He said that the veto has often been used for matters
which have nothing to do with the maintenance of international
peace and security. Instead they have been used on many
occasions to block the applications for UN membership by new
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Lok Sabha Speaker should reconsider travelling in Jaguar: Congress
- Watch: After 67 years of concrete prison 'world's loneliest elephant' dies in Tokyo
- SunRisers Hyderabad enter maiden IPL final with four-wicket win over Gujarat Lions
- Over 80 percent of world's city dwellers breathe polluted air: WHO
- CBSE class 10 results 2016 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class X Results, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 PM