Unusual bonhomie in RS as MPs bid adieu to Khan
New Delhi: It was unusual bonhomie in the
Rajya Sabha today as members cutting across party lines spoke
in unison as they bade farewell to K Rahman Khan as Deputy
Chairman besides `dream girl` of yesteryears Hema Malini and
some others on expiry of their terms.
Deputy leader of the Opposition S S Ahluwalia, joined by
several others, complimented Khan for conducting the House
proceedings over the last eight years with discipline,
impartiality and always with a smile.
He wished him further progress in his political career.
"When you smile, it looks natural and when you express
anger, it does not look genuine," Balbir Punj (BJP) said.
A Chartered Accountant-turned-politician, Khan has been
re-elected to the House but would not be the Deputy Chairman.
Another BJP member Ravi Shanker Prasad told Khan, "If any
of us has hurt you by our conduct, we apologise."
He said Khan had taken the prestige of the House to newer
heights and wished he continued on the post. "Without you, we
cannot imagine the House."
Law and Justice Minister Salman Khurshid quoted from
Oliver Twist in his tribute to Khan and said "You can go but
be back soon."
Khurshid said, "We are greatly honoured to find a friend,
philosopher and guide. It is a great day for Parliament and
democracy. We will cherish his values and wisdom."
An emotional Khan thanked members for their love and
"Throughout, you have given me love, respect...something
that I will cherish. Sometimes Chair has compulsions...has
constraints...I apologise if anyone is hurt by my ruling...not
getting opportunity to speak," he told the members.
Currently in his fourth term in the Rajya Sabha, Khan
said, "I am moved with the sentiments of the House...love and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state