UP CM`s US trip hit by Azam Khan detention episode
New York: Akhilesh Yadav`s visit to the US was hampered by the brief detention of his cabinet colleague Azam Khan at the Boston airport, as it prompted the UP Chief Minister to boycott the Harvard lecture and get a reception in his honour by the Indian Consulate here cancelled.
Yadav`s first visit to the US as UP Chief Minister came to an end as he left for New Delhi by a scheduled flight from John F Kennedy International Airport this morning.
He was to lead a delegation during the trip to Harvard University in Boston to attend a session on Kumbh Mela which he and Khan ultimately boycotted to protest the latter`s detention at the Boston airport on Wednesday.
Earlier, newly appointed Consul General of India to New York DM Mulay called on the Chief Minister at Hotel Taj Pierre in Manhattan before his departure.
Yadav is believed to have discussed Khan`s detention in detail with Mulay.
Yadav was confined to his room most of the time during his stay here and had cancelled all his official engagements since his arrival to the city on Friday night from Boston.
The Chief Minister made a brief private visit to New Jersey to meet his relatives yesterday after getting a reception organised in his honour by the Indian Consulate here cancelled.
Yadav had visited New York two years ago as part of the Indian delegation to address the UN General Assembly session in his capacity as a MP.
Some of his friends and those who had met him during his last visit, called on the Chief Minister in his hotel suite.
Azam Khan who was detained on arrival in Boston leading to a major controversy back home, left for New Delhi last evening by a scheduled flight from New York`s John F Kennedy International Airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’