UP CM`s US trip hit by Azam Khan detention episode
New York: Akhilesh Yadav`s visit to the US was hampered by the brief detention of his cabinet colleague Azam Khan at the Boston airport, as it prompted the UP Chief Minister to boycott the Harvard lecture and get a reception in his honour by the Indian Consulate here cancelled.
Yadav`s first visit to the US as UP Chief Minister came to an end as he left for New Delhi by a scheduled flight from John F Kennedy International Airport this morning.
He was to lead a delegation during the trip to Harvard University in Boston to attend a session on Kumbh Mela which he and Khan ultimately boycotted to protest the latter`s detention at the Boston airport on Wednesday.
Earlier, newly appointed Consul General of India to New York DM Mulay called on the Chief Minister at Hotel Taj Pierre in Manhattan before his departure.
Yadav is believed to have discussed Khan`s detention in detail with Mulay.
Yadav was confined to his room most of the time during his stay here and had cancelled all his official engagements since his arrival to the city on Friday night from Boston.
The Chief Minister made a brief private visit to New Jersey to meet his relatives yesterday after getting a reception organised in his honour by the Indian Consulate here cancelled.
Yadav had visited New York two years ago as part of the Indian delegation to address the UN General Assembly session in his capacity as a MP.
Some of his friends and those who had met him during his last visit, called on the Chief Minister in his hotel suite.
Azam Khan who was detained on arrival in Boston leading to a major controversy back home, left for New Delhi last evening by a scheduled flight from New York`s John F Kennedy International Airport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India