UP denies atrocities on Bhatta Parasaul farmers
Greater Noida: Uttar Pradesh authorities
on Tuesday dismissed Rahul Gandhi`s allegations that people were
burnt to death at Bhatta Parasaul, the focal point of
farmers stir on land acquisition issue.
IG (Meerut) Rajni Kant Mishra denied the allegations
about burning of men and told mediapersons that "had the
administration ignited the fire to set the men ablaze, they
would not have called fire men".
He made the remarks referring to the fire that had broken
out on the night of May 7, the same day when four people-- two
police personnel and as many farmers were killed in clashes
during the agitation.
"The ashes of cowdung heaps and fields which were burnt
in fire were not razed. Mediamen were allowed to enter the
village and see the burnt-out materials," he said.
Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi had met Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday and later alleged that huge
heaps of ash carrying burnt bodies had been found in the
villages where farmers were agitating for better compensation
for their land acquired by Mayawati government.
He also showed the Prime Minister pictures purportedly
of bodies burnt and other forms of violence against farmers
and their family members.
"...Women have been raped, people have been thrashed.
Houses have been destroyed," Gandhi alleged.
Regarding the missing persons in the village,
Commissioner (Meerut) Bhuvnesh Kumar said "till date, only one
person`s missing complaint has been received. He was found to
be admitted at a Delhi hospital."
Meanwhile, ashes were lifted from the site and sent for
Kumar said several persons were not coming back to the
village out of fear. He, however, assured the villagers that
no innocent person will be arrested.
"We will identify the anti-social elements through video
clippings and only the guilty will be arrested. No innocent
person will be arrested," Mishra said.
District Magistrate Deepak Aggarwal said Section 144 had
been lifted from today as normalcy was returning to the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi