UP government constitutes Ganga river conservation authority
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government today
constituted UP State Ganga River Conservation Authority on the
lines of Gang Basic Authority constituted by the Centre.
Making a formal announcement regarding constitution of
a state body, Chief Minister Mayawati directed officials to
ensure that sewage was not disposed off in Ganga and its
tributaries without treatment.
During a review meeting held here, she asked officials to
prepare a sewage treatment plan for Allahabad, Varanasi and
Kanpur upto year 2025 and get required funds from the Centre
at the earliest.
The UP CM directed that experts should be inducted in the
newly constituted authority, so that their opinion could be
taken in making Ganga pollution free.
She told municipal commissioners of Allahabad, Varanasi
and Kanpur to make alternative arrangements to check pollution
in Ganga before sewage treatment plants are set up.
Directing the officials not to allow any new tannery
in Jajmau, she said that the officers should ensure that
tanneries do not dispose off their waste in the river without
She said that action should be taken against tanneries
under Pollution Control Act for disposing off their waste in
the river without primary treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj