UP government constitutes Ganga river conservation authority
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government today
constituted UP State Ganga River Conservation Authority on the
lines of Gang Basic Authority constituted by the Centre.
Making a formal announcement regarding constitution of
a state body, Chief Minister Mayawati directed officials to
ensure that sewage was not disposed off in Ganga and its
tributaries without treatment.
During a review meeting held here, she asked officials to
prepare a sewage treatment plan for Allahabad, Varanasi and
Kanpur upto year 2025 and get required funds from the Centre
at the earliest.
The UP CM directed that experts should be inducted in the
newly constituted authority, so that their opinion could be
taken in making Ganga pollution free.
She told municipal commissioners of Allahabad, Varanasi
and Kanpur to make alternative arrangements to check pollution
in Ganga before sewage treatment plants are set up.
Directing the officials not to allow any new tannery
in Jajmau, she said that the officers should ensure that
tanneries do not dispose off their waste in the river without
She said that action should be taken against tanneries
under Pollution Control Act for disposing off their waste in
the river without primary treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!