UP govt denies rift on Vaishali Metro inauguration
New Delhi: Hours after it was reported that the Ghaziabad Development Authority (GDA) has lodged a vocal protest with the DMRC on its plan to launch the Delhi Metro services to Vaishali on Thursday without a formal inauguration by UP Chief Minister Mayawati, the state government has denied any such rift.
Officials from the state government’s information department in Lucknow said the line will open as decided by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and BSP state president and Cabinet Minister Swami Prasad Maurya will attend the flagging-off ceremony.
The DMRC had yesterday announced that it would launch the services on the extended 2.57 kilometres Metro line between Anand Vihar in Delhi and Vaishali in Ghaziabad at 7 am on Thursday without any formal inauguration.
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati was earlier expected to inaugurate the line on July 16 but the DMRC had not received any formal communication from the UP authorities about the CM’s availability till yesterday.
That is why the DMRC, which received the safety certificate for the line from the Commissioner for Metro Rail Safety (CMRS) on Tuesday, decided to go ahead with the launch without any inauguration.
"There has been no communication from the UP authorities or the CM`s office about any such programme (inauguration). The line will be opened for commercial services by the station staff on July 14 at 7 am. From the next day, services will start from the regular timing, that is, 6am-11pm," a senior DMRC official told a newspaper.
Mayawati’s busy schedule is already believed to have delayed the inauguration of the line by a few days.
With the inauguration of the extension line, Ghaziabad will become the third city in the National Capital Region after Noida and Gurgaon to be connected with the Metro. The line will connect Ghaziabad and neighboring areas all the way to Dwarka in South-West Delhi. Besides Kaushambi and Vaishali, the line will prove beneficial to those coming from Indirapuram, Dabur and even Sahibabad
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery