UP land row: Rajnath, Jaitley and Naqvi arrested
Noida: Senior BJP leaders Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley and Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, leading BJP protests in support of farmers of Greater Noida farmers, were arrested on Thursday in Ghaziabad by Uttar Pradesh police.
Rajnath Singh sat on a fast in support of the farmers` stir along with Jaitley and Naqvi.
The arrest evoked a strong reaction from the saffron party. The party has lashed out at Mayawati by terming her an “Ottoman ruler”.
Singh has asked Chief Minister Mayawati to step down for failing to address the farmers’ plight. "Mayawati has lost her moral right to continue as Chief Minister and she should resign”, he said addressing a huge gathering of farmers.
“The state government should immediately stop acquiring land in Bhatta Parsaul until the Land Acquisition Amendment Bill is passed by Parliament,” he added.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Shabha Arun Jaitley criticised the Centre for the delay in introducing the bill to amend the Land Acquisition Act.
He blamed the UPA government`s attitude on the issue for the "murders" of farmers in police firing in Greater Noida and said the Centre cannot escape responsibility.
On Wednesday night Uttar Pradesh government arrested Congress general secretaries Rahul Gandhi, Digvijay Singh, UP Congress president Rita Bahuguna Joshi and actor turned politician Raj Babbar in Bhatta Parsaul village under section 151. Gandhi and other Congress leaders were released later in the night.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Cancel your train ticket on phone or via SMS through these easy steps
- Not getting visa? This Balaji temple can help you fly abroad
- Rahul Gandhi visits ailing Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS
- Anybody can play Sangeeta Bijlani's role but not Naureen's: Prachi Desai
- Coal scam: Rungtas move HC against conviction, CBI reply sought