UP land row: Rajnath, Jaitley and Naqvi arrested
Noida: Senior BJP leaders Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley and Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, leading BJP protests in support of farmers of Greater Noida farmers, were arrested on Thursday in Ghaziabad by Uttar Pradesh police.
Rajnath Singh sat on a fast in support of the farmers` stir along with Jaitley and Naqvi.
The arrest evoked a strong reaction from the saffron party. The party has lashed out at Mayawati by terming her an “Ottoman ruler”.
Singh has asked Chief Minister Mayawati to step down for failing to address the farmers’ plight. "Mayawati has lost her moral right to continue as Chief Minister and she should resign”, he said addressing a huge gathering of farmers.
“The state government should immediately stop acquiring land in Bhatta Parsaul until the Land Acquisition Amendment Bill is passed by Parliament,” he added.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Shabha Arun Jaitley criticised the Centre for the delay in introducing the bill to amend the Land Acquisition Act.
He blamed the UPA government`s attitude on the issue for the "murders" of farmers in police firing in Greater Noida and said the Centre cannot escape responsibility.
On Wednesday night Uttar Pradesh government arrested Congress general secretaries Rahul Gandhi, Digvijay Singh, UP Congress president Rita Bahuguna Joshi and actor turned politician Raj Babbar in Bhatta Parsaul village under section 151. Gandhi and other Congress leaders were released later in the night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...