UP leads the recovery of illegal arms: MHA
New Delhi: Security agencies across the
country have seized over 13,000 illegal weapons ranging from
country-made pistols to automatic assault rifles with 60 per
cent of the recovery made from Uttar Pradesh only, the Rajya
Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Uttar Pradesh led the tally with 8,094 of the total
13,351 illegal weapons seized during 2009, Minister of State
for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran said in a written
The seizures this year have increased by about 10 per
cent from 2008 when 12,036 illegal weapons were recovered by
the security agencies, he said. In 2008 also, Uttar Pradesh
had registered recovery of 6610 weapons which constitutes more
than half of total seizures across the country, the data said.
Militancy-hit Jammu and Kashmir remained on second
position during both the years with seizure of 885 and 985
illegal arms during 2008 and 2009 respectively, it said.
Maharashtra recorded the third highest recovery of
illegal arms during 2008 and 2009 with 422 and 477 arms seized
respectively. Insurgency-hit Manipur followed it with the
recovery of 408 and and 378 arms during 2008 and 2009
respectively, the data provided by the Minister said.
The Minister said a number of steps have been undertaken
to "check anti-national activities and un-authorised and
illegal movement of arms" which include effective domination
of the borders by carrying out round-the-clock surveillance
and patrolling, laying nakas (border ambushes) and by
deploying observation posts all along with international
He said steps taken on the international border to check
the movement of illegal arms include erection of fencing,
construction of border roads, introduction of modern and
hi-tech surveillance equipments, special operations,
improvised fence breach alarm system at susceptible locations
and random checking of vehicles crossing the borders.
"The State and UT Governments have been urged to make
sustained and continued efforts to unearth illegal weapons and
arms," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa