UP leads the recovery of illegal arms: MHA
New Delhi: Security agencies across the
country have seized over 13,000 illegal weapons ranging from
country-made pistols to automatic assault rifles with 60 per
cent of the recovery made from Uttar Pradesh only, the Rajya
Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Uttar Pradesh led the tally with 8,094 of the total
13,351 illegal weapons seized during 2009, Minister of State
for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran said in a written
The seizures this year have increased by about 10 per
cent from 2008 when 12,036 illegal weapons were recovered by
the security agencies, he said. In 2008 also, Uttar Pradesh
had registered recovery of 6610 weapons which constitutes more
than half of total seizures across the country, the data said.
Militancy-hit Jammu and Kashmir remained on second
position during both the years with seizure of 885 and 985
illegal arms during 2008 and 2009 respectively, it said.
Maharashtra recorded the third highest recovery of
illegal arms during 2008 and 2009 with 422 and 477 arms seized
respectively. Insurgency-hit Manipur followed it with the
recovery of 408 and and 378 arms during 2008 and 2009
respectively, the data provided by the Minister said.
The Minister said a number of steps have been undertaken
to "check anti-national activities and un-authorised and
illegal movement of arms" which include effective domination
of the borders by carrying out round-the-clock surveillance
and patrolling, laying nakas (border ambushes) and by
deploying observation posts all along with international
He said steps taken on the international border to check
the movement of illegal arms include erection of fencing,
construction of border roads, introduction of modern and
hi-tech surveillance equipments, special operations,
improvised fence breach alarm system at susceptible locations
and random checking of vehicles crossing the borders.
"The State and UT Governments have been urged to make
sustained and continued efforts to unearth illegal weapons and
arms," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced