UP leads the recovery of illegal arms: MHA
New Delhi: Security agencies across the
country have seized over 13,000 illegal weapons ranging from
country-made pistols to automatic assault rifles with 60 per
cent of the recovery made from Uttar Pradesh only, the Rajya
Sabha was informed on Wednesday.
Uttar Pradesh led the tally with 8,094 of the total
13,351 illegal weapons seized during 2009, Minister of State
for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran said in a written
The seizures this year have increased by about 10 per
cent from 2008 when 12,036 illegal weapons were recovered by
the security agencies, he said. In 2008 also, Uttar Pradesh
had registered recovery of 6610 weapons which constitutes more
than half of total seizures across the country, the data said.
Militancy-hit Jammu and Kashmir remained on second
position during both the years with seizure of 885 and 985
illegal arms during 2008 and 2009 respectively, it said.
Maharashtra recorded the third highest recovery of
illegal arms during 2008 and 2009 with 422 and 477 arms seized
respectively. Insurgency-hit Manipur followed it with the
recovery of 408 and and 378 arms during 2008 and 2009
respectively, the data provided by the Minister said.
The Minister said a number of steps have been undertaken
to "check anti-national activities and un-authorised and
illegal movement of arms" which include effective domination
of the borders by carrying out round-the-clock surveillance
and patrolling, laying nakas (border ambushes) and by
deploying observation posts all along with international
He said steps taken on the international border to check
the movement of illegal arms include erection of fencing,
construction of border roads, introduction of modern and
hi-tech surveillance equipments, special operations,
improvised fence breach alarm system at susceptible locations
and random checking of vehicles crossing the borders.
"The State and UT Governments have been urged to make
sustained and continued efforts to unearth illegal weapons and
arms," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in