UP police launch manhunt for ‘rapist’ Rajasthan DIG
New Delhi: The Uttar Pradesh (UP) police on Wednesday launched a manhunt for the missing former DIG of Rajasthan - Madhukar Tandon, who is accused of molesting a tribal woman 13 years back.
This has raised hopes for the rape victim Malli Devi, who has been seeking justice in a rape case for the past 13 years.
The UP police have appointed Ghaziabad SSP as the officer in charge for the case.
Meanwhile, Dausa MP Kirori Lal Meena, who was on a dharna here seeking justice for a tribal woman allegedly raped by an IPS officer about 13 years ago, was arrested along with 13 others in the wee hours today.
"Fourteen people, including Meena, were arrested under section 151 of CrPC (arrest to prevent the commission of cognizable offences) and taken to Ajmer Jail, while the other
persons who were on dharna were sent to their houses," IG (Jaipur Range-I) B L Soni told a news agency.
Extra force have been deployed at the dharna site near civil line railway crossing here as a precautionary measure.
The woman was allegedly abducted and taken to Noida in Uttar Pradesh in January 1997 where she was allegedly raped by former Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Madhukar Tandon, then posted in police headquarters and is now said to be absconding.
The victim, hailing from Dausa district, was sitting on a dharna here along with her family members and the Independent MP after she was not allowed to meet Chief
Minister Ashok Gehlot at his residence.
Around 50 people led by the MP were also on dharna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test