`UP poll results will have bearing on UPA-II`
New Delhi: The post-poll situation in Uttar
Pradesh, especially the "combinations and manipulations" in
case of a hung assembly, would "significantly influence" the
UPA-II coalition at the Centre, the CPI(M) has said.
"In the current situation, in the case of a hung
assembly, post results, the combinations and manipulations
that follow for establishing a majority will significantly
influence the balance of coalition at the Centre," senior
CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury said.
This was the reason why these elections were causing
"such a campaign flutter" and evoking "so much passion and
acrimony", he said in an editorial in the forthcoming issue of
party organ `People`s Democracy`.
Noting that UP poll results have always had a bearing on
national politics, he said the number of Lok Sabha MPs from
the state "often decides the composition of the central
government and its leadership."
Observing that UPA`s "problems" with its allies were
mounting with "relentless shedding of `crocodile tears` for
the common man and throwing of tantrums by the Trinamool
Congress", he said the coalition was also facing trouble from
the mega scams like 2G and Antrix-Devas scam and "new areas of
conflict" like the Army chief`s age controversy and Andhra
Pradesh IAS officers protesting CBI action against them.
Besides, price rise continues to burden the people,
distress suicides of farmers continues unabated and the Prime
Minister himself admits that the nutritional status of our
children is a `national shame`, the CPI(M) leader said.
He said the government`s confidence to "brazen out" these
appeared to arise from the hope that the current assembly poll
results in some states would be in its favour and the main
opposition BJP suffering from "visible discomfort and
"On this basis, the UPA is preparing to launch a more
aggressive offensive of liberalisation in the current budget",
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez