UP teen case: HC directs CB-CID to submit full report
New Delhi: The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on Friday directed Crime Branch of Uttar Pradesh CID to submit a comprehensive report on the status of investigation into the murder and alleged rape of a 14-year-old girl in Lakhimpur Kheri district.
The court also fixed July 4 as the next date for hearing in the case in response to a PIL demanding a CBI probe into the incident.
Coming down hard on the Uttar Pradesh government, the court also asked why properties of the suspected accused have not been attached under Section 82-83 of the IPC.
The CB-CID, after presenting its status report, also sought time to study the forensic report to be able to come to a definite conclusion.
Meanwhile, the lawyer representing victim’s family held before the court that a CBI probe be initiated into the matter at the earliest since it has now been established that attempts were being made to tamper with the evidence by suspected policemen.
14-year-old Sonam was found dead, hung to a tree at the Nighaasan police station.
The first autopsy had termed the cause of death as asphyxia, but after protests by her family and opposition parties a second autopsy was conducted which concluded that she was murdered but did not confirm rape.
The CB-CID report is expected to throw more light on the case, especially on the motive behind the dastardly act.
In the CB-CID report, there are indications that Sonam’s killers tried to rape her before they murdered her.
Key accused in the case, Constable Vinay Singh, and other suspects have been absconding since the day of the murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'