UP teen murder: Krishna Tirath slams state govt
New Delhi: Taking serious note of the
alleged rape-and-murder of a minor girl at a police station in
Uttar Pradesh, Union Women and Child Development Minister
Krishna Tirath on Monday accused the state government of being
"insensitive" and said the Centre must intervene.
Slamming the ruling BSP in UP, Tirath said she will write
a "strong" letter to Chief Minister Mayawati asking her what
action the state government has taken regarding the alleged
rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl allegedly by some police
personnel in Lakhimpur.
Tirath said she has asked the National Commission for
Women to probe the matter and will also meet Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram and discuss the issue.
"It is a very serious matter. I will take this up with
the Home Minister. Such incidents are occurring repeatedly in
UP and the government is insensitive. I have also written to
the NCW to probe the matter and after they give a report,
action will be taken accordingly," she said.
"If such things continue to happen, some tough step will
have to be taken. The Central government must intervene. The
state government must take responsibility for this. If they
can`t, they should quit," Tirath said.
NCW Chairperson Yasmeen Abrar said the commission has
taken suo motu cognisance of the incident and sought a report.
"We will take a decision on sending a probe team to the spot
after getting their response," she said.
The National Human Rights Commission has already sent its
investigation team to look into the alleged rape and killing
of the girl and issued notice to UP DGP, calling for a
detailed report on the incident within four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price