UP teen murder: Krishna Tirath slams state govt
New Delhi: Taking serious note of the
alleged rape-and-murder of a minor girl at a police station in
Uttar Pradesh, Union Women and Child Development Minister
Krishna Tirath on Monday accused the state government of being
"insensitive" and said the Centre must intervene.
Slamming the ruling BSP in UP, Tirath said she will write
a "strong" letter to Chief Minister Mayawati asking her what
action the state government has taken regarding the alleged
rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl allegedly by some police
personnel in Lakhimpur.
Tirath said she has asked the National Commission for
Women to probe the matter and will also meet Union Home
Minister P Chidambaram and discuss the issue.
"It is a very serious matter. I will take this up with
the Home Minister. Such incidents are occurring repeatedly in
UP and the government is insensitive. I have also written to
the NCW to probe the matter and after they give a report,
action will be taken accordingly," she said.
"If such things continue to happen, some tough step will
have to be taken. The Central government must intervene. The
state government must take responsibility for this. If they
can`t, they should quit," Tirath said.
NCW Chairperson Yasmeen Abrar said the commission has
taken suo motu cognisance of the incident and sought a report.
"We will take a decision on sending a probe team to the spot
after getting their response," she said.
The National Human Rights Commission has already sent its
investigation team to look into the alleged rape and killing
of the girl and issued notice to UP DGP, calling for a
detailed report on the incident within four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!