UP tops `fake` encounters list, Manipur second
New Delhi: Uttar Pradesh has earned the dubious distinction of witnessing the highest number of fake encounters with nearly 120 people being allegedly killed by police in such incidents in past three years.
In the first six months of this year, six persons were killed in the state in alleged encounters and their families have approached the National Human Rights Commission for justice.
In 2010-11, NHRC received complaints that 40 people were killed by security forces in Uttar Pradesh in alleged fake encounters. During 2008-09 and 2009-10, 71 people were killed in the state in alleged fake encounters.
Official sources said there were 369 cases of alleged fake encounters registered by NHRC beginning 2008-09 till June from across the country.
In 90 cases, where police action was found to be doubtful, NHRC has recommended monetary relief of Rs 4.54 crore to the next of kin of the deceased. Out of the 369 cases, 98 are resolved by the NHRC while 271 cases are yet to be settled.
After Uttar Pradesh, Manipur recorded the second highest number of fake encounter cases during the three-year period -- 16 in 2008-09, 32 in 2009-10, 12 in 2010-11 and one in first half of 2011.
There were 14 cases of alleged fake encounter in militancy-hit Jammu and Kashmir in past three years with the highest 11 cases were registered in 2010-11. No such case has been reported from the state so far this year.
Naxal-hit Chhattisgarh has reported 11 cases of fake encounter in last three years while two other Maoists affected states Jharkhand and Orissa registered 13 and 12 such cases respectively.
Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh -- two relatively peaceful states -- have recorded 15 each cases of alleged fake encounters in the last three years.
West Bengal recorded altogether 23 cases of alleged fake encounters while national capital Delhi recorded six such cases in last three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say