UPA ad campaign not with eye to 2014: Manish Tewari
New Delhi: Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari Tuesday denied the publicity campaign launched by his ministry detailing development initiatives of the UPA government was with an eye to next year`s general elections.
A day after the ministry launched a multi-media catalogue of India`s development in the last nine years, highlighting the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) governement`s key development programmes like the MGNREGS, Indira Awas Yojana, Janani Suraksha, Tewari said the campaign merely "highlights the positives" and was a "public information campaign" of the schemes.
On Monday, Tewari released the "Glimpses of the India Story" - a multi-media initiative to be put across on television, radio, print and outdoor publicity "with the objective of informing and appraising the public to encourage greater participation in developmental efforts".
Speaking to a news channel, Tewari said: "We have not tried to exterpolate, we have tried to underscore the transformation in the country during the nine years of the UPA reign and the facts are borne out by the public records and can be tested."
He described it as an "enabling initiative" by which the ministry was placing the "narrative on the table, which in the course of political diatribe falls off the table... putting the initiatives in perspective and context".
Asked by the channel if it was with an eye to the general elections, the minister said: "This is only a public information campaign and there is nothing else to it."
"We are one year from elections and looking at the ninth anniversary of the UPA. This is an attempt to tell the UPA story and not linked to election or political hyperbole. This is part of dissemination of information entitled to the information and broadcasting ministry."
He said the publicity was part of the mandate of his ministry.
He said the India Shining campaign had been launched by the then National Democratic Alliance government on the eve of the 2004 elections and was based on "hype and hoopla", while the publicity initiative launched by his ministry is "based on facts".
Bharatiya Janata Party chief Rajnath Singh, taking a dig at the ad campaign, said the "UPA government has been around for almost a decade and they have failed in almost all fronts."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly