UPA allies differ on bringing PM under Lokpal
New Delhi: Partners in the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) have expressed differing opinions on having the Prime Minister within the ambit of the Lokpal bill, with the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) opposing the idea while the DMK is "not against it".
NCP spokesman DP Tripathi said his party did not want the Prime Minister to be under the purview of Lokpal.
"The dignity of the Prime Minister`s Office has to be preserved. He deals with so many confidential matters of the state relating to intelligence and external affairs," Tripathi told a news agency on Saturday.
He said including the Prime Minister in the ambit of the bill will amount to "weakening the state apparatus".
Tripathi said there were other mechanisms for accountability of the prime minister, including no confidence motion in parliament and public interest litigation.
Referring to a plan by the government to call an all-party meeting on the Lokpal bill, Tripathi said his party had made the suggestion in its response to the queries on the Lokpal bill sent by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who chairs the joint drafting committee on the bill.
However, DMK spokesperson TKS Elangovan said his party was not against bringing the Prime Minister in the ambit of Lokpal.
"We are not against it," Elangovan told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25