UPA allies differ on bringing PM under Lokpal
New Delhi: Partners in the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) have expressed differing opinions on having the Prime Minister within the ambit of the Lokpal bill, with the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) opposing the idea while the DMK is "not against it".
NCP spokesman DP Tripathi said his party did not want the Prime Minister to be under the purview of Lokpal.
"The dignity of the Prime Minister`s Office has to be preserved. He deals with so many confidential matters of the state relating to intelligence and external affairs," Tripathi told a news agency on Saturday.
He said including the Prime Minister in the ambit of the bill will amount to "weakening the state apparatus".
Tripathi said there were other mechanisms for accountability of the prime minister, including no confidence motion in parliament and public interest litigation.
Referring to a plan by the government to call an all-party meeting on the Lokpal bill, Tripathi said his party had made the suggestion in its response to the queries on the Lokpal bill sent by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who chairs the joint drafting committee on the bill.
However, DMK spokesperson TKS Elangovan said his party was not against bringing the Prime Minister in the ambit of Lokpal.
"We are not against it," Elangovan told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room