UPA allies differ on bringing PM under Lokpal
New Delhi: Partners in the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) have expressed differing opinions on having the Prime Minister within the ambit of the Lokpal bill, with the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) opposing the idea while the DMK is "not against it".
NCP spokesman DP Tripathi said his party did not want the Prime Minister to be under the purview of Lokpal.
"The dignity of the Prime Minister`s Office has to be preserved. He deals with so many confidential matters of the state relating to intelligence and external affairs," Tripathi told a news agency on Saturday.
He said including the Prime Minister in the ambit of the bill will amount to "weakening the state apparatus".
Tripathi said there were other mechanisms for accountability of the prime minister, including no confidence motion in parliament and public interest litigation.
Referring to a plan by the government to call an all-party meeting on the Lokpal bill, Tripathi said his party had made the suggestion in its response to the queries on the Lokpal bill sent by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who chairs the joint drafting committee on the bill.
However, DMK spokesperson TKS Elangovan said his party was not against bringing the Prime Minister in the ambit of Lokpal.
"We are not against it," Elangovan told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon