‘UPA behind disruption of Rushdie`s address’
Amritsar: BJP leader Arun Jaitley today
accused the Congress-led UPA of being behind the last-minute
disruption of author Salman Rushdie`s video address at Jaipur
Literature Festival to garner Muslim votes in the five
Talking to reporters here, Leader of the Opposition in
Rajya Sabha said the votebank politics of Congress-led UPA had
led it to play "a highly questionable role in the entire
Rushdie episode" to please fundamentalists.
"Under no law, did the Congress government in Rajasthan
have the right to stop Rushdie from addressing the literature
festival through video conferencing," he said.
He also accused Congress of playing the communal card by
promising reservation to minorities under the OBC quota.
On Punjab politics, he alleged there was severe
infighting within the state Congress which would help the
ruling SAD-BJP alliance to form the government again.
He said Congress was known for its "arrogance" and could
never be humble with the common masses, whereas on the
contrary SAD-BJP remained people-friendly.
Jaitley said the factor will work in favour of the
alliance and help it get another term in office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list