UPA bluffing nation over U`khand death toll: Rajnath Singh
Ghaziabad: Bharatiya Janata Party President Rajnath Singh on Saturday accused the Congress-led UPA Government of bluffing the country over the number of lives lost in the recent Uttarakhand flash floods.
"When I first went to Uttarakhand, the locals who have a better knowledge of the area said that the death toll has surely surpassed 5000, whereas the government stayed firm on the fact that only 100 or 150 have died. All I want to say that there should not be any politics played over the Uttarakhand flood massacre. All parties should unite for this cause and do everything that can be on their part. We have also made an appeal for one and all for help," Singh said.
Over 1,000 people are still stranded in the holy town of Badrinath in flood ravaged Uttarakhand, according to latest reports.
According to certain media reports, over 2,000 people are still said to be missing.
Till now, 1,04,687 persons have been evacuated from different places by road and air.
Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, who on Friday offered his condolences to all the brave hearts killed in the chopper crash, announced that the Centre would provide more funds to Uttarakhand for rehabilitation and restoration of infrastructure damaged by flash floods.
He said that priority would be given to evacuate the sick, old and disabled people, a large number of whom are stranded in the Badrinath area.
Shinde, who also reviewed rescue and relief operations, gave an assurance that IAF choppers will remain in the hill state for another 15 days and continue to provide support.
Chief of Army Staff, General Bikram Singh on Friday said that the rescue operations would continue till the last person is evacuated.
"Our endeavour is to locate all our citizens, wherever they are, and get them out," he told the media in Gauchar.
The Army Chief earlier held interaction with his officers and men.
Meanwhile, Union Rural Development Ministry has announced a special package under Indira Awas Yojana for Uttarakhand.
Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh in a letter written to Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said his ministry has doubled the allocation of housing units by adding another 14 thousand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi