UPA damaging institution of Lokpal: BJP
New Delhi: Citing the refusal of an eminent jurist and a former Supreme Court judge to serve on the Search Committee for Lokpal, BJP on Wednesday accused UPA government of damaging the institution of Lokpal even before its creation.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley also referred to the refusal of several former SC judges to head a Commission of Inquiry formed by the Centre to probe `snoopgate` allegedly involving Narendra Modi to argue that the "moral isolation" of the "arrogant and vindictive" government is complete.
"When eminent and independent persons of repute are refusing to associate with the search and selection exercise while suspecting the motives of the government its moral isolation is complete," he wrote on his blog.
Fali S Nariman and Justice (retd) K T Thomas, both of whom refused to be on the Search Committee, had questioned the entire process with Nariman arguing that it could overlook the most competent, independent and courageous persons.
"It is now clear that the institution of Lokpal is being damaged even prior to its creation," Jaitley said. He said government has consistently tried to tweak the process to suit its interests while ignoring people of eminence.
He said the object of the constitution of the Commission of Inquiry for `snoopgate` was political and the Centre wanted to embarrass the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate.
"What happened to that Commission? One after the other retired judges of the Supreme Court were approached to head the Commission. They declined to lend themselves for this politically motivated exercise," he said.
Besides being a complete abuse of power, Jaitley said, the Commission smacked of vindictiveness and arrogance.
"Arrogance has been the hallmark of the UPA government in the past ten years. Arrogance is a certain guarantee for political downfall. Arrogance isolates them from various sections of society which find their attitude unacceptable," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"