UPA giving step-motherly treatment to farmers: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Monday accused the UPA government of giving a step-motherly treatment to farmers in the country and claimed that peasants` debt was increasing due to its "wrong" policies.
At a dharna organised by BJP Kisan Morcha here, party president Nitin Gadkari alleged that Congress was "looting" the people and that the government led by it could not protect the interests of farmers.
"Till there is Congress government, suicides by farmers will go on, prices of fertilisers will keep on rising. Farmers won`t get interest-free loans.”
"Congress is looting the people. Government cannot protect farmers. (It) cannot provide justice to them. Farmers are under debt because of UPA`s policies," he said.
Sushma Swaraj, the leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, demanded that subsidy should be given to the farmers directly through their accounts just as it is being done in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh.
"There should be a review of subsidy policy and we demand rollback of prices of fertilisers. Minimum Support Price (MSP) should be increased for farmers` produce. UPA policies have been always anti-farmer," she said.
"They cannot give interest-free loans where as in BJP-ruled states like Karnataka and MP, there is no interest and in Chhattisgarh, it is one percent," Swaraj added.
Another party leader Rajnath Singh said, "We can only become a super power if India becomes the `agri capital` of the world. UPA government is adopting a step motherly treatment towards farmers.”
"Every month farmers commit suicide. Since Congress took over, prices have increased for everything," he added.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Kane Williamson named New Zealand skipper for all three formats
- Hema Malini congratulates Deepika for her engagement!
- Mizoram HSLC Board Results 2016: MBSE HSLC Class 10 exam Results (mbse.edu.in) to be declared today
- Docoss X1 Smartphone at Rs 888: All you want to know
- Indian Premier League 9: 82* vs Gujarat Lions was probably my best T20 knock, says Chris Morris