UPA giving step-motherly treatment to farmers: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP on Monday accused the UPA government of giving a step-motherly treatment to farmers in the country and claimed that peasants` debt was increasing due to its "wrong" policies.
At a dharna organised by BJP Kisan Morcha here, party president Nitin Gadkari alleged that Congress was "looting" the people and that the government led by it could not protect the interests of farmers.
"Till there is Congress government, suicides by farmers will go on, prices of fertilisers will keep on rising. Farmers won`t get interest-free loans.”
"Congress is looting the people. Government cannot protect farmers. (It) cannot provide justice to them. Farmers are under debt because of UPA`s policies," he said.
Sushma Swaraj, the leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, demanded that subsidy should be given to the farmers directly through their accounts just as it is being done in BJP-ruled Madhya Pradesh.
"There should be a review of subsidy policy and we demand rollback of prices of fertilisers. Minimum Support Price (MSP) should be increased for farmers` produce. UPA policies have been always anti-farmer," she said.
"They cannot give interest-free loans where as in BJP-ruled states like Karnataka and MP, there is no interest and in Chhattisgarh, it is one percent," Swaraj added.
Another party leader Rajnath Singh said, "We can only become a super power if India becomes the `agri capital` of the world. UPA government is adopting a step motherly treatment towards farmers.”
"Every month farmers commit suicide. Since Congress took over, prices have increased for everything," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi