UPA govt bulldozed parliament in passing Telangana Bill: Mamata
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday accused UPA government of bulldozing parliament in passing Telengana Bill in Lok Sabha and said her party MPs will meet the President soon to express their opposition to the way the legislation was approved.
"The way it happened, it is illegal. I have no language to condemn the way the Bill was passed. UPA government has bulldozed Parliament. Our MPs will meet president to express resentment the way the Bill was passed," she told reporters here.
Earlier in the day in Kolkata, Banerjee was critical of the Centre`s Telangana move, wondering why the issue was taken up before the election.
Soon after the passage of the legislation, senior TMC MP Sudip Bandopadhyay described it as a "blot on Indian democracy" and said the "passage was not according to parliamentary norms."
"We had proposed amendment and we sought division of votes but it was not done. I fail to understand how within one minute 300-400 votes could be counted," he said.
The Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill, 2014, which had been hanging fire for long, was adopted by voice vote along with 38 official amendments, with main opposition BJP coming on board.
It was passed amid din and strong protests by members from Seemandhra region, including ministers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi