UPA govt denies deal with Mayawati on FDI issue
New Delhi: The government on Thursday said there was no "deal" involved in getting BSP`s support on the FDI in retail issue in Parliament.
"There was no deal between her (Mayawati) and the government," Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath said on a TV programme organised by a news channel in response to a question on how he managed to convince Mayawati on the FDI issue.
Asked what political technique was used, he said, "There was no technique involved in it. Only there was a need to make one understand. We did that and she understood. Her understanding (capacity) is good."
He further said, "The debate is going on whether FDI in multi-brand retail will come or not. We decided to enable state governments to avail FDI. This cannot be decided in Lok Sabha or Rajya Sabha. It has to be decided by state Assemblies."
Highlighting the importance of the private sector in the current economic scenario, he said both private sector and youth have a major role in the development.
He said farm sector is facing a major challenge. "After paying all loans a farmer earns only Rs 20,000. Unless he has more buying power it will not serve the purpose. Today fruits are rotting because unavailable of cold storage and rapid transport facility."
Linking GDP growth with common people`s purchasing power, he said, "Majority of population is not bothered about the GDP growth but they are concerned about increase of their purchasing capacity. If our purchase power increases it will boost the GDP growth."
Recalling the early days, Nath said, "Earlier our economy was public sector driven, there was a licence raj. But now it has changed. Our manufacturing sector is mostly private sector driven and the centre`s role has become an enabling one. Our textile sector is completely private sector driven."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs