UPA govt drifting, has no control over inflation, corruption: CPI
Madurai: Criticising Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh`s remarks on having to tolerate a great deal in
coalition politics, CPI Friday said the UPA government was
"drifting" and had no control over inflation and corruption.
"The Prime Minister`s interview to TV (editors) yesterday
has only confirmed that the Government is drifting and has no
control over inflation and corruption. If he thinks a
coalition partner is responsible for the 2G spectrum scam, why
is Congress again having an alliance with DMK," CPI national
secretary D Raja told reporters here.
Pointing to reports that 2G spectrum allocation had
helped big corporate houses earn billions of rupees which
otherwise should have gone to the government treasury, he said
people would not agree with the view that the allocation had
reduced the cost of mobile calls.
He wondered what explanation the Prime Minister would
give for handing over S-Band Spectrum to Devas Multimedia by
ISRO, which is under his direct control.
"Annulling of the deal is not the answer to the wrong
already done," he said.
Raja said though a resolution was passed in Parliament to
control inflation, no steps have been taken by the government
to rein it in.
Describing the Congress-DMK alliance as a "sinking ship",
he said it was ironical that PMK had joined this alliance,
given that its leader Dr S Ramadoss had once criticised DMK
`for doing nothing but opening state-controlled liquor shops.`
The CPI leader said it was high time that the Indian
Government reviewed the 1974 Katchativu agreement with Sri
Lanka, when the island ceded to that country, to get it back
and ensure that Indian fishermen are able to earn their
livelihood in a safe environment.
If necessary, the issue of attacks on fishermen by the
Lankan Navy should be taken up with International forums as
Sri Lanka had signed many conventions, Raja said.
He alleged that neither the Centre nor the Tamil Nadu
government seemed to be worried about the condition of Tamils
in the island nation and no steps had been taken by the Union
government to ensure their proper rehabilitation or providing
them power under a federal set up.
Raja expressed confidence that the Election Commission
would take effective steps to stop the alleged distribution of
money to voters in Tamil Nadu in the run up to the Assembly
polls due in May.
The CPI leader was also confident that the ongoing seat
sharing talks with AIADMK would be completed smoothly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’