UPA Govt keen on farmers` welfare: Chidambaram
Sivaganga (TN): UPA Government was taking various pro-farmer steps, including hiking the support price for various crops such as paddy and cotton and offering low-interest loans, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram said on Saturday.
The procurement price for paddy which was Rs.650 per quintal had been increased to Rs.1,350 a quintal. Similarly, cotton support price had also been hiked, he said inaugurating the Branch of the Oriental Bank of Commerce at Milaganur, about 40 km from here in his native district.
Farm loan target had been increased from Rs.60,000 crore to Rs two lakh crore this year and the interest rate for it had been reduced to seven per cent, he said.
Those who promptly repaid their loans need to pay only four per cent interest, he said listing out various steps taken for the welfare of farmers.
Chidamabram also said the foodgrain stock in the country had increased to 2.60 lakh crore tonnes and was able to export wheat.
"We were importing wheat once up on a time. Now we are in a situation wherein we can export wheat. I salute the farmers for this," he said.
Chairman of the Oriental Bank of Commerce S.L.Bansal presided over the function in which bank Executive Directors V.Kannan and Bupinder Nayyar were also present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre