UPA has surrendered before global retailers: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Saturday accused UPA government of surrendering before global retailers like Walmart by diluting the norms for FDI in multi-brand retail and promised to do away with such "flip-flop" in economic policy making if voted to power.
BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi alleged that "specific lobbying" by global retailers had led to the government decision yesterday to ease norms for FDI in multi-brand retail by diluting 30 per cent sourcing clause and allowing foreign chains to set up shop even in cities with a population of less than 10 lakh.
The main opposition said it is "shameful" that even after one year of FDI being allowed in multi-brand retail there has been no significant foreign investment and also sought to know why the government had framed clauses in an "unthinking manner".
"It is surprising though that the government has also relaxed mandatory back-end infrastructure rules as well as in the case of FDI in retail. This was one of the biggest arguments made by the UPA to justify FDI in retail in the first place citing the lack of cold supply chain infrastructure among other things," Lekhi said.
Alleging that "flip-flop" by UPA dispensation is symptomatic of the irrational manner it has gone about economic policy making, she said this has made the country look like a "banana republic" to foreign investors.
The party also held the UPA`s policies responsible for the slide of the rupee.
Lekhi said if BJP is voted to power, it will restore confidence of domestic and foreign investors with a stable and transparent policy regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics