UPA-II mulling Rs 200 crore ad blitz to sell India story abroad
New Delhi: Come one, come all; it’s India calling. After being battered at home and abroad, the UPA government is planning a Rs 200-crore blitzkrieg to shore up its nirman story with a desperate bid to woo foreign institutional investors, particularly from North America, western Europe and the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) nations.
The Centre’s inspiration to have a go at an overseas image makeover in its penultimate year before the General Elections came from Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari’s pet project — the Rs 150-crore Bharat Nirman advertisement campaign, aimed at winning over the domestic crowd.
“It will be a 360° outreach campaign utilising multiple platforms such as conventional media, street plays and road shows,” a source in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.
The campaign will start by the end of next month with an initial funding of Rs 25 crore. “The aim is to attract foreign direct investment, which took a hit due to the recent slowdown in global economy, policy indecisiveness and because of India’s negative image among multinationals,” the source explained.
The Rs 25 crore will go to a Mumbai-based creative agency and the campaign will be rolled out through Indian embassies and high commissions.
Pradip R Sagar and Mayank Aggarwal/DNA
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video