UPA-II mulling Rs 200 crore ad blitz to sell India story abroad
New Delhi: Come one, come all; it’s India calling. After being battered at home and abroad, the UPA government is planning a Rs 200-crore blitzkrieg to shore up its nirman story with a desperate bid to woo foreign institutional investors, particularly from North America, western Europe and the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) nations.
The Centre’s inspiration to have a go at an overseas image makeover in its penultimate year before the General Elections came from Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari’s pet project — the Rs 150-crore Bharat Nirman advertisement campaign, aimed at winning over the domestic crowd.
“It will be a 360° outreach campaign utilising multiple platforms such as conventional media, street plays and road shows,” a source in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said.
The campaign will start by the end of next month with an initial funding of Rs 25 crore. “The aim is to attract foreign direct investment, which took a hit due to the recent slowdown in global economy, policy indecisiveness and because of India’s negative image among multinationals,” the source explained.
The Rs 25 crore will go to a Mumbai-based creative agency and the campaign will be rolled out through Indian embassies and high commissions.
Pradip R Sagar and Mayank Aggarwal/DNA
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- Goa MLA Atanasio Monserrate booked for raping minor
- Kasich dropping out of US presidential race: Report
- Indian woman wins gender discrimination case against Wipro in Britain
- Chopper deal: I blacklisted AgustaWestland, not UPA, says Arun Jaitley
- Israeli jets carry out raids on Gaza: Palestinian Ministry