UPA-II`s administrative structure has collapsed: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday said the administrative structure of the UPA-II (United Progressive Alliance) government has collapsed.
Reacting after the Supreme Court questioned the government`s decision to reject army chief Gen VK Singh`s plea to officially correct and change his year of birth, BJP leader Balbir Punj demanded a clarification from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"It shows that the administrative system of UPA-II has collapsed," Punj told reporters here.
"The Indian Army, of which all Indians are proud, has been totally unpolitical and is known as a model, professional army. The government was not able to solve this controversy on its own level. Hence, the issue was raised in the Supreme Court which also has now busted the government`s claims," he said.
"But the government is so shameless that it will not be embarrassed by this either. The prime minister should tell the nation why the controversy reached this level," added Punj.
In his plea, General Singh has asked that his date of birth be restored to May 10, 1951, from May 10, 1950.
The Supreme Court Friday said the entire matter involving the Army Chief was "vitiated". An apex court bench headed by Justice RM Lodha also asked the central government if it was inclined to withdraw its order of Dec 30, 2011, rejecting Gen Singh`s statutory complaint.
The court will now hear the case Feb 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid