UPA looks to complete term, but can`t make predictions: Salman Khurshid
Lucknow: Stopping short of making a direct comment on Lok Sabha polls, External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on Sunday said the UPA looks forward to complete its term in office, but noted one cannot make predictions in politics.
"We are looking at completing our term. There are important legislative steps that have to be taken, and policy issues that are in process of being implemented, but you know one cannot predict what might happen tomorrow. We have cut for ourselves the job and then go to people, but I don`t want to make any predictions," Khurshid said here.
When asked whether his party was ready for elections, the Union minister said it doesn`t look at the polls right now.
His remarks come amid a blow-hot, blow-cold relationship of the Congress with Samajwadi Party, its ally in Uttar Pradesh.
On SP demanding resignation of two Central ministers, Khurshid said at times, some opinions may differ based on local issues, but asserted such matters should get resolved sooner than later.
"I am sure that`s taken in a proper context and the matter gets resolved. We are after all working together and I think we should continue to work together," Khurshid said.
The minister asserted that the Congress looks for SP`s cooperation as there are a lot of legislative works for people`s welfare that need to be completed in the Parliament.
On inflation, the minister said there are several factors behind it and although the government is trying its best to tame it, in economics, everything cannot be understood every time.
"There are several factors behind inflation. If governments knew what were the (exact) reasons (behind inflation) which could be checked, then there should have been no price rise in any country of the world" he said.
Khurshid said only economists can know well about the economy and from time to time, they give advice to the government based on which it takes decisions.
"Every step and decision is not easy. Even then we make efforts so that people get relief, and the burden is not put especially on weaker sections," he said.
The minister noted there are some positive aspects of price rise too as it signifies prosperity in the economy, but at the same time, supply-side constraints cause the trouble and for that, the production needs to be increased.
On the issue of Italian marines Khurshid said that the NIA has not filed any charge-sheet so far and the matter has been given to the agency for investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash