UPA misguiding people on coalgate: BJP
New Delhi: A day after the UPA government accused the BJP of unwillingness on its part to let Parliament function, the main opposition party hit back on Saturday accusing the ruling establishment of misguiding the nation on the coal block allocation issue.
The UPA government’s strategy is to misguide the people, senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley told a press conference, adding the same happened during the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
“The UPA tried to misguide then also with its zero loss theory,” Jaitley said, adding “(Finance Minister P) Chidambaram hasn’t learnt a lesson from his colleague Kapil Sibal’s mistake”.
“I don’t think Chidambaram will be able to mislead the people, except himself,” he added.
Chidambaram, along with Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal and Law Minister Salman Khurshid, had said at a press conference yesterday that “if the coal is not mined and stays under mother earth, then where is the loss”.
To this, Jaitley countered by saying “when the coal blocks are allotted, the right to mine shifts and it now vests with 142 private allottees and not with the Government of India”.
“The coal under mother earth now does not belong to Mr Chidambaram,” the BJP leader added sarcastically.
“There’s a huge opportunity cost to the Government of India. The opportunity that the government could have exploited now rests with private players.”
“I am afraid to say Mr Chidambaram is not the best custodian of the public exchequer,” Jaitley said.
“If somebody were to embezzle money from Chidambaram`s account, by the minister`s logic he would not have lost the money till that person withdraws money from his personal account even after money have been transferred from the minister`s account,” Jaitley said, countering the Finance Minister’s no loss argument.
It’s a fragile logic, he said.
Stating the UPA was losing confidence of the people, Jaitley said with this performance the UPA’s continuance is a zero sum game for themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video