UPA misusing CBI for political gains: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP Monday accused the UPA government of "misusing" and "abusing" the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which it said has caused damage to the country`s constitutional scheme and body.
"The CBI is used for political purposes. The misuse and abuse of the CBI by this government is continuing. It has caused a lot of damage to the constitutional scheme when the highest offices are involved in corruption," BJP spoksperson Meenakshi Lekhi said.
Lekhi questioned why the Congress had not stopped the CBI chief from meeting Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, who had allegedly vetted the report on the coal block allocation prepared by the agency along with officials of the Prime Minister`s Office.
The BJP had earlier demanded that a Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe the alleged irregularities in the allocation of coal blocks, saying that the UPA would not allow the CBI to function independently.
The Comptroller and Auditor General, India`s official auditor, had last year revealed that the lack of transparency in the allocation of coal blocks to private players resulted in the loss of a whopping Rs.1.85 lakh crore ($37 billion) to the exchequer as on March 11, 2011.
Lekhi also said that the CBI was used to delineate the role of Congress leader Jagdish Tytler in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots. She questioned the "assurance and undertaking" given by the government to the Italian marines, who are facing trial for killing two Indian fishermen last year off the Kerala coast.
"The entire structure has been told to bend down to suit certain purposes. I will be very interested to know what assurance that government of India seems to have given?" Lekhi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Watch: Behind-the-scenes 'Trip' of 'Udta Punjab' will make you more impatient for its release
- Separatist leaders in Kashmir join hands against colonies for Pandits
- Five reasons you should stop eating bread!
- Do you know who is Virat Kohli's first love? No, it's not Anushka Sharma!
- Bihar Board 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Biharboard.bih.nic.in & biharboard.ac.in BSEB Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Exam Results 2016 to be announced shortly