UPA planning early elections to escape failures: Naidu
Visakhapatnam: Senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu Saturday alleged that the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre was planning to conduct early general elections to escape from its failures, saying no amount of "make-up" (reshuffle) can prevent its "pack-up" in 2014.
"There were indications that the UPA government might go for vote-on-account, announce populist schemes and then dissolve the Parliament in March next year as it has miserably failed on all fronts and is steeped in several scams," the former BJP President said in a press conference here.
He said the recent cabinet reshuffle was a desperate attempt to divert the attention of the people and cover its pitfalls.
"Any attempt of change in ministries would not help the Congress from its rout in the coming elections," Naidu said.
"The change in the Oil ministry was the classic case of how this government was functioning. It was proved that the UPA did not know how to run a coalition government. Also, people expected that ministers who are facing serious charges to be removed. But shockingly all of them were retained and even more worse, some of them were promoted," he said.
The Congress policy is to "promote corruption and demote honesty" and all these changes are "make-up before the pack-up," he commented.
Naidu said that the people of the country are of the opinion that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh replaced Jaipal Reddy with Veerappa Moily as the new petroleum and natural gas minister, due to pressure from industrial groups and corporate houses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened