UPA playing politics on Sardar Sarovar dam: Modi
Jamnagar: Saying that he was ready to give credit for Sardar Sarovar dam project to Congress, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday demanded that Centre allowed the installation of gates on the dam so that water could reach farmers in the parched regions of the state.
Slamming Congress-led UPA government for "playing politics" on the issue, Modi said he did not want credit over the project. He was willing to give credit to Congress leaders if they feared that Modi would benefit (politically) if the permission was granted, he said.
"Please give us water and take the credit if you want. There cannot be any politics in this. This is for Gujarat," Modi said, addressing a gathering of farmers.
Blaming Congress for delay in gate installation, Modi said that initial estimated cost of the project was Rs 5,000 crore, but now it had escalated to Rs 50,000 crore.
Saying that the gates to be installed were as high as six-storey building, he said, "It would take two to three years to build each gate. There are 40 such gates to be built but still the Centre has done nothing on the issue."
"I have met the Prime Minister a dozen times regarding the issue, but while he kept saying it must be done, no action has been taken."
Congress-ruled Maharashtra and BJP-ruled Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh had completed their part of the work but the Centre was refusing to do the needful, he alleged.
Ruing `failure` of Congress to provide crop insurance to the Gujarat farmers in the face of bad monsoon last year, Modi asked "whether money for the crop insurance had met the same fate as 2G spectrum and coal reserves".
His government had taken steps such as waiver of 50 per cent of the power dues and grant of interest concessions to help the farmers deal with the drought, he said.
Congress was going to face a rout in June 2 Lok Sabha and Assembly by-elections in Gujarat, he said.
The two Lok Sabha and four Assembly seats where bypolls are to be held were with Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday