UPA record better than NDA in dealing with death row cases: PC
New Delhi: It was a veiled dig at BJP when
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram provided figures about the
cases of prisoners of death row dealt during NDA and UPA
"When L K Advani was the Home Minister, 14 cases were
submitted to the President. No case was decided," Chidambaram
said while answering questions of reporters after presenting
the monthly report of his ministry.
"My immediate predecessor (Shivraj Patil) re-submitted
the 14 cases (of NDA) plus another 14 cases and two cases were
"In the 14 months of UPA II, our government submitted
eight cases, and five have already been decided. So the record
speaks for itself about our determination to decide each of
these cases," Chidambaram said.
He also made it clear that the Government was taking up
every case and "when Afzal Guru`s case comes up, that will
also be taken up." Guru, a convict in Parliament attack case,
is 28th on the list of those on the death row.
BJP has been targetting the Government over the "delay"
in the execution of Guru`s death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir