UPA record better than NDA in dealing with death row cases: PC
New Delhi: It was a veiled dig at BJP when
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram provided figures about the
cases of prisoners of death row dealt during NDA and UPA
"When L K Advani was the Home Minister, 14 cases were
submitted to the President. No case was decided," Chidambaram
said while answering questions of reporters after presenting
the monthly report of his ministry.
"My immediate predecessor (Shivraj Patil) re-submitted
the 14 cases (of NDA) plus another 14 cases and two cases were
"In the 14 months of UPA II, our government submitted
eight cases, and five have already been decided. So the record
speaks for itself about our determination to decide each of
these cases," Chidambaram said.
He also made it clear that the Government was taking up
every case and "when Afzal Guru`s case comes up, that will
also be taken up." Guru, a convict in Parliament attack case,
is 28th on the list of those on the death row.
BJP has been targetting the Government over the "delay"
in the execution of Guru`s death sentence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29