`UPA should seek Parliament approval for reforms`
New Delhi: The BJP on Sunday demanded that the UPA government should seek approval of Parliament for reforms like allowing FDI in pension and insurance sectors.
Speaking to reporters here, senior BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu termed the FDI in retail, pension and insurance sectors as anti-poor and anti-farmers and asked the Congress-led UPA government not to take any "unilateral" decisions on major issues that could affect the country in general, and common man in particular.
"The UPA can dissolve Parliament and seek mandate of the people afresh if it is confident that its reform processes were, indeed, pro-poor," Naidu said.
The UPA government has lost its moral right to take "unilateral" decisions after Trinamool Congress (TMC), led by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, withdrew its support to it and also parties like SP and BSP have been opposing to allow FDI in retail, the BJP leader said.
The results of two Lok Sabha bypolls in Uttarakhand and West Bengal also showed that Manmohan Singh government was fast losing confidence of the people, he claimed.
While the Congress lost in Tehri in Uttarakhand, it narrowly scraped through at the Jangipur seat in West Bengal that fell vacant after Pranab Mukherjee became President.
"A notable point in Jangipur bypoll was the decision of the TMC not to contest the election," he pointed out.
The BJP would work out modalities in consultation with the NDA allies and other parties opposed to the decisions of the UPA and mount pressure on it to seek Parliamentary sanction for its decisions, Naidu said.
"We would press the UPA to take approval from Parliament on allowing the FDI in retail too as the Congress had opposed it in the past," he said.
Referring to separate statehood for Telangana, Naidu alleged that the UPA government led by Congress has been adopting "opportunistic" stand on the issue, which had it promised in its election manifesto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’