UPA`s foreign policy disastrous, mishandled Devyani issue: BJP
Guwahati: Criticising the UPA government for mishandling the Devyani Khobragade issue, the BJP on Friday said the UPA`s foreign policy is "disastrous".
"We do not appreciate the manner in which the US diplomat issue was handled. It is a gross mis-management of foreign policy," BJP`s deputy leader in Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
The Government handled the entire issue very "inappropriately", he said.
"The big question is how come the maid went to the US. Why did the US Embassy in India give her a visa It is a question if any human trafficking is also happening," Prasad alleged.
Talking about the Centre`s policy, he said "The foreign policy of the UPA is disastrous, be it our relation with the Pakistan, China or the US."
Senior Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade was today indicted in the US for visa fraud and making false statements by a grand jury, which held that the charges against her will remain even as she headed back to India after being accorded full diplomatic immunity.
A 1999-batch IFS officer, Khobragade, was arrested on December 12 last year on charges of making false declarations in a visa application for her maid. She was released on a USD 250,000 bond.
The diplomat was strip searched and held with criminals, triggering a row between the two sides with India retaliating by downgrading privileges of certain category of US diplomats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid