UPA`s second anniversary: Uncertainty over DMK ministers` presence
Chennai: Uncertainty prevails on union ministers belonging to the DMK attending the United Progressive Alliance`s (UPA) second anniversary dinner being hosted by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Sunday.
While no formal decision has been taken on the issue, it is learned the DMK`s representatives in the central government might skip the dinner as a mark of solidarity with their leader M Karunanidhi in his hour of crisis.
According to party sources, Karunanidhi has received the dinner invitation from Singh but decided not to attend it.
Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi, charged as a co-conspirator in the 2G spectrum allocation scam, was Friday arrested and sent to Tihar Jail after her bail plea was rejected. The main conspirator is DMK MP and former communications minister A Raja, who is also in the same jail.
Six of the DMK`s 18 MP are ministers. Instead of all ministers skipping the dinner, there is also the possibility that a few of them may attend the function.
Meanwhile, the DMK`s top brass were in discussion with Karunanidhi at his residence in Chennai Saturday to chalk out the strategy in the wake of Kanimozhi`s arrest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister