Uphold constitution, protect fundamental rights: Pranab Mukherjee
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee Thursday told a visiting group of law students to "uphold the constitution" and "protect fundamental rights of the people under all circumstances," a statement by the Rashtrapati Bhavan said.
Stressing that law was the "essence of any civilized order," Mukherjee told the LLB students of Mohsin College in West Bengal's Hooghly that in a democracy, "neither the constitution nor the basic principles of statecraft can remain rigid and stagnant".
"This is because new situations keep emerging which must be addressed within the framework of the constitution. A number of amendments to the constitution have, therefore, taken place," he said.
The principles of equality, liberty, fraternity and social justice should always remain uppermost in their minds, the president said, referring to the students who are in Delhi for an educational tour to observe the proceedings of the Supreme Court.
Mukherjee further told the students that they represented an institution whose brilliant alumni included illustrious luminaries like Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read