Uproar in Lok Sabha over Tytler`s acquittal
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha erupted in uproar on Thursday over the acquittal of Congress leader Jagdish Tytler in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.
Raising the matter during zero hour, Akali Dal`s Harsimrat Kaur said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had helped Tytler to escape the clutches of the law.
"The CBI is working as Congress Bureau of Investigation. The government used the official machinery (to sabotage the case)," Kaur said.
She said no action had been taken against the accused even two decades after the riots in which thousands of Sikhs were killed in 1984 following the assassination of then prime minister Indira Gandhi.
When she quoted former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi as saying that "when a big tree falls, the ground shakes" in connection with the anti-Sikh violence, Congress members protested, leading to a heated exchange between opposition and ruling party MPs.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said: "What happened in 1984 was not only most tragic, but a most shameful act."
He, however, asked the Akali Dal MPs not to "bake political cake out of the funeral fire".
Referring to terrorism in Punjab, Bansal said "these people (Akali Dal MPs) did not have the courage to come out (against it)".
"Please don`t take political mileage out of it," Bansal said amid uproar by opposition MPs.
A Delhi court Tuesday gave a clean chit to Tytler, a former union minister, in an anti-Sikh riots case and accepted the CBI closure report that ruled out his involvement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm