Uproar in LS over Plan panel`s poverty estimates
New Delhi: The Lok Sabha was adjourned today
following uproar over the fresh poverty estimates released by
the Planning Commission which pegged the poverty line at Rs
28.65 per capita daily consumption in cities.
As soon as the House met, NDA Convenor Sharad Yadav and
Prabodh Panda (CPI) were on their feet demanding suspension of
the Question Hour for a discussion on latest poverty estimates
of the Planning Commission.
Speaker Meira Kumar said she had disallowed the notices
given by Yadav and Panda and called for the Question Hour.
BJP, JD(U) and Shiv Sena members then trooped into the
Well raising slogans against the Planning Commission. Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh, who is also Chairman of the Planning
Commission, was present in the House.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said the
discussion on the General Budget was yet to start and
agitating members can raise the issue during the debate.
However, members were unrelenting and continued to raise
slogans. Amid din, the Speaker adjourned the House till noon.
The Commission had released poverty data based on the 66th
round of the National Sample Survey (2009-10) figures on
household consumer expenditure survey. The national accounts,
which provide data for national income, is prepared by the
Central Statistical Organisation (CSO).
As per the estimates, the poverty ratio has been pegged at
29.8 per cent in 2009-10, down from 37.2 per cent in 2004-05.
These are based on the daily per capita consumption of Rs
28.65 in urban cities and Rs 22.42 in rural areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack